Monday, January 19, 2009

Strep..I thought it only affected kids



Let me start by saying I have excellent immunity. I rarely get sick, and when I do it is just cold or cough. When I was in the doctor's office today, I realized it is my first sick visit in America..EVER! I started getting sore throat on friday night. It was bitter cold and we were working late. My friend S and I offered to pick up dinner for everyone from BajaFresh. I felt this thing in my throat while driving back home that night (at 11PM, mind you). Mehul was sleeping on his bed, DH was also in bed. I just changed and crashed.
Saturday morning, left side of my throat was hurting. It was much worse than last night. I had difficulty swallowing. Let me mention that 3 weeks ago, DH had sore throat. He said, at least only one side is hurting for you. His both sides hurt when he was sick. GREAT. This is a competition. (He's a great guy, really, just not used to me whining because of being sick). I got back into bed. I felt awful and like I had no energy. I didn't even want to talk to my parents on the weekly phone call. Talking hurt. They gave me a list of things to try and mostly talked to Mehul and DH. I ran a temperature throughout the day and just lay in bed. I had chills and could not get warm with thick socks, sweater, Overcoat and a comforter on top.
Sunday was the worst day I've experienced in a long time. The infections spread to the other side and I could feel the lower throat touching the upper (still feel it). It is LARGE. Forget eating, swallowing was making me cry! There was fever and a lot of laying down again. Our company has MLK day (today) as a holiday but I was supposed to go in for a customer demo. I called S (who was working with me on the demo and wasn't supposed to go in on monday) to go in place of me. I just couldn't go in like this! Thankfully she agreed and the demo went very well today.
Today I finally went to the doctor because this thing isn't going away on its own (my usual course of action - give it 2-3 days and it will get better). Strep was confirmed and antibiotics were given. Doctor said the glands were very swollen and would take a week to go back to normal. After I'm on the antibiotic for 24 hrs *and* fever-free on my own, I'm fit to be around people. The biggest concern now is to keep Mehul away from me so he doesn't catch it.
I gulped when I saw the antibiotic. How am I supposed to swallow this huge pill? I have trouble swallowing already, remember? So I take advil (200mg, coated with something) 30 mins before and then try the antibiotic. It worked this afternoon.
I am really tired of soups and tea. I want a real meal which includes solid food -- my last one was Friday night's Baja Fresh. I hope I'm better by tomorrow just so I can eat something. And I really hope no one else catches it from me. That would be very bad.

So, there's my first real sickness in a LONG while. You get a full guided tour. LOL! What, it's not like I get sick everyday! I can tell I'm getting better already :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel back to normal soon! I had strep last summer and it came back after a week of being finished with the first round of antibiotics. Go back if you have a hint of that soreness coming back.

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry! Sore throats are absolutely no fun at all. Feel better soon!