Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Rakha Bandhan!



Tomorrow is 'Raksha Bandhan'. It is a Hindu festival honoring the bond between brothers and sisters. Sisters tie 'Rakhi' - an embellished thread on their brother's wrists and bless them for their well being. In return, brothers promise to take care of them, and shower them with gifts! It's a lovely custom. You can read more about it here - http://www.raksha-bandhan.com/
We live 7000 miles away from our family but the bonds have not weakend! My Rakhi has reached home, DH's Rakhi has reached here. Mehul's Rakhi from his cousin Arushi is expected today, it's late! Tomorrow morning, we'll tie them and have some sweets to close the deal haha.

Happy Rakha Bandhan!

Here is a layout I did yesterday, it's funny now that I think about it. The flower with ribbon behind it *looks* like an actual Rakhi! No, it was not intentional, some things are cosmic.

Mom and Mehul


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful custom! My brother and I are extremely close, and I have often wondered why, in the US, we have Mother's Day and Father's Day and Grandparent's Day, but not sibling day. I see that Hindus are far ahead of us there. I especially like the "brother showers sister with gifts" part, LOL. (I'm kidding!)

Anonymous said...

You can always start your own custom! Never too late. You can pick Raksha Bandhan, or another date that's meaningful to you.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful layout..!
I agree what a great tradition. Happy Rakha Bandam!!!