Sunday, April 15, 2007

We did it!



This morning I woke up at 6:30. DH and Mehul were up a little while later. Quick breakfast, dressed up and out the door by 7:15. Turn back as I had forgotten the towel. It was pouring down rain.

We reached the FairGrounds in Leesburg around 8:00. This is where the race was to be held. I met with Jenni and her husband Scott who were also there for the 5K. It was *cold* and wet. Most people were wearing jackets and caps. Some were even wearing garbage bags over their dresses to avoid soaking. Quite a deviation from what I had imagined! Jenni said around 2500 people had registered for the races. But there weren't nearly as many present. Many had bailed.

Our race started at 8:40. We had to go on a bike trail half way through and then turn back and finish at the same spot we started. Jenni had done a 5K last year but it was my first. We started out together. Scott had gone to the front of the herd. We were not even 1 mile in when we saw some people returning! Yeah, they were most of the winners! I kept up with Jenni until the halfway point (no walking!), and had to stretch my legs a bit after that. She is a little energizer bunny! Never stopped for a second, never walked. I was right behind her after the halfway point. I covered the rest of the distance doing run/walk.

My finish time was 39:20. Jenni's was 37-something. Scott's was 24-something! He was beat for third place in his age category by 20 seconds!
Some pictures. I look awful. But I feel great :)

Scott, Jenni, Me, and Mehul


Mehul and Me

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must have heard wrong because according to the results page only 108 people ran the 5k. Maybe they said 250 for both and I inflated it by adding another zero at the end?

Energizer bunny! That is very funny!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS on the run!! Suz

Anonymous said...

You look just fine! Congratulations to you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! Good to know that u did it!!